Sunday, July 20, 2008

Personal Domain, let's get full about it

Dear Cupertino,

I love MobileMe. I love how it pushes everything between my Mac, my PC and my iPhone. I love how the me.com website look and feels. But I don't use it. At least not my mail.
Why? Well, as many fellow geeks, I own a personal domain and have me and my family's mail-addresses there. And there is no easy way to use it with MobileMe. I can forward my mail to MobileMe, but I can't send it from MobileMe's servers. I can set up a different account and send it from my ISP's SMTP-servers. That, besides from being clumsy, won't work when I am, for example, visiting a friend using another ISP.
Why doesn't Apple allow this? I can point (using CNAME) my domain name to me.com and use MobileMe to host my website. Why can't I point my MX record, or maybe just forward my mails and use a SPF record in a TXT string? Come on Apple...

Christoffer Möller

2 comments:

Toshi Lu said...

Nice blog, please check my blog out

Anonymous said...

I agree. i'm working for my dad to find how to host his website as well as his email. Him and his employees have iPhones so it would be really nice to use mobile me for this so he could have push without paying for exchange. he needs to host his website but still be able to receive email at his Name@hisname.com