Sunday, July 6, 2008

iTablet


Dear Cupertino,

I've received about 20 emails on this subject, so let me consolidate them all into one post, plus add a little color commentary about it as well.

The rumored iTablet.  Apple taking the iPhone technology and making it bigger.  Touchscreen notebook.  iPhone being a bit bigger so that someone can use it as a book reader.

There are so many topics that this was written in about, however, I feel they all cover one thing.  Just basically a bigger form factor iPhone, or a touchscreen laptop.  I think is an interesting idea for a couple reasons, one I'll touch on here, which is basically UI, the other I'll post about later in a totally different topic..

The tablets that are out there, with MSFT Windows on it, have not have the tablet technology implemented correctly.  All the tablet is, it a computer with a pen as a mouse.  This is not a tablet.  By definition yes, but it doesn't feel like a great computing experience.  
An example of what I mean by this, take cut and paste for instance.  Or say you want to save, the picture on this post off.  Right now with present tablet tech, you'd have to put the pen where you want it, line it up, hold the cursor down, and select the text, just like a mouse, then Click on the Edit menu, click copy, click where you want it, then click paste.  Yuk.

In my opinion, if I want to copy an image, or a piece of text, or a section of a webpage (much like the technology Apple has to implement a webclip for dashboard), I should take the pen, draw a circle around the piece i want to select, click the pen and drag it off.  Done.  That's the way it should be implemented.  Little things like that.  It should be intuitive.  I have used tablets, and I don't think they have the tech correct yet.  I don't think the writing tech is where it's at yet.

Now, a company out there called Axiotron has developed a piece of tech called the "Modbook".  Which as they say is a Macbook, which some extra software and hardware.  It's getting there, but I don't know if this is "it" yet.  Plus, the price point is too high for a normal user.

Please, if you have more comments about your ideas for the iTablet, please leave them in the comments.

Thanks!

Joel + about 20 others.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want one of these roughly the size of the Newton - it could fold in half. With a small enough bezel and flush face it could definately work (similar to a dual monitor setup) and be more compact.

LordSutter said...

I'm after similar to what traingeek said.
A duel-screen unit about the size of a hardcover book. Both screens touch-enabled. Make it slightly thicker than a Macbook, no optical drives and a huge battery.

Anonymous said...

Here it is:

Next Apple moves will be Books and Games…

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/next-apple-moves-will-be-books-and-games

AMAZING!

Unknown said...

The iTablet is now in Australia being tested. See here: http://www.rorylewis.com/docs/02iPhone/10_iTablet/10_iTablet.htm

Dr. Lewis
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.
Computer Science: Epilepsy Prediction