Sunday, July 6, 2008

iPhone General Enhancements

(Please read the entry inline, for my comments, in italics.)


Dear Cupertino,

Come home and set my mobile in its dock and have all of my phone messages available on my computer screen, both home phone and mobile.

I assume this reader is talking about his visual voicemail.  I could see how this would be handy, but it would be difficult to implement.

Answer the mobile and home phones on the home phone.

You might want to look into something like Grand Central from Google.

Have the transmitter antenna for my wireless phone outside the house far away from my head.

While I see this would be a good idea, I don't see an easy way to implement this in any fashion.

A button on my phone that could answer during meetings with customized answers such as: This is Mark, I see you have called, I'll call back soon, can I call you on this number nnn-nnn-nnnn? Or 'please send me a text/ email'.

What you should do is set your voicemail answering message to this.  Then if people call during a meeting, tap the top standby twice.  This sends people straight to voicemail.

When reaching an associates phone message, have available the ability to send a test.

I don't know what this means.

Schedule delivery of phone messages so that I could leave messages at odd hours that can be held until the listener retrieves then.

Yes, this would be ideal.  Basically having a way of delivering voicemail straight to a person without actually having to call their phone.  That way, you want to leave a reminder on your co-workers voicemail at 3 in the morning, and not wake your coworker up.  You can do this now, but it's not easily done.

Have auto attendant triage calls so that only emergency or family calls can disturb me at certain times, perhaps, limit the ability to ring through to certain address book entries or require caller to agree to a prompt such as 'Is this call urgent?' or 'Is leaving a message an acceptable choice."

You need to look into Grand Central from Google.  This may be able to solve your issues.

Thanks!

Mark (with comments from Joel)

3 comments:

Chandler Bassett said...

Grand Central is crazy good.

Unknown said...

nice idea for a site but it is hard to read because of your layout, I have to scroll far too much in order to read anything. perhaps you could ease off double-spacing and even post only an excerpt of your story on the main page with a link to read more under it a la tuaw.com etc

thanks!

Anonymous said...

Quote:
When reaching an associates phone message, have available the ability to send a test.

I think what that guy was trying to say is
"When reaching an associates phone message, have available the ability to send a text."

Which means... when calling a friend and there's no answer, Have the phone provider say to leave a text message saying you called, press 5 or whatever...
This is something some phone companies have in their voicemail answering service...
frankly I find it annoying getting text messages that say "please call (123)456-7890" all the time... just text me telling me what your freakin' want if I don't answer your call!.
I guess it is better than having to sit through some long boring voice-message though.