Friday, September 26, 2008

Advanced IP Firewall Options

Dear Cupertino,

I have but one very short request.

Can we please have more advanced options for the built in IP Firewall?

We understand that security is paramount in OSX, but if we'd feel so much better if we had more options for the IP Firewall. GUI options, at that. We love sexy tick boxes and aqua-luscious radio buttons.

For those of you who don't know what an IP firewall is, read the ipfw chapter into the FreeBSD manual here.

If you're after the man page for OSX's built in ipfw (and the command-line arguments you need to pass to configure more options), you can read all about them here.

Thanks,
Zach / quine.

Editors note: If this is post is a little short, my apologies. Truth be told, I'm a little out of my depth here.
Expect more posts soonish. In fact, I've got a great iTunes improvements one coming right up...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suspect this is a case where Apple is deliberately leaving the door open for third party developers.