Friday, December 19, 2008

Top Posting and Bottom Posting

Dear Cupertino,

Now, for those of you that know me, you will know that this is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Email clients that Top Post by default and have no way to bottom post in any setting. One of the biggest email clients Outlook, has this same problem, and it annoys me to all end. (I detail this annoyance here.)

Mail.app does this. You can't bottom post at all.

Top posting means, when you reply to an email, the email client puts your cursor at the top of the email above the Attribution line.

Bottom Posting means, when you reply to an email, the email client puts your cursor at the bottom of the email, above your signature block.

The reason that this annoys me, is because I try to be a good Net Citizen and bottom post. I bottom post because I feel that when you read an email thread you should be able to logically follow it. If you've ever tried to read an email thread that is posted in totally Top posting format, you will know that this makes email threads logically hard to read. I'd like the ability, in Mail.app, much like it is in Thunderbird, to make my default post method Bottom only.

Please?

Thanks,

Joel

No comments: